The lead investigator into the disappearance of William Tyrrell says authorities “have not given up…and will not give up” on the investigation, in an appeal for information to mark the third anniversary since the three-year-old was last seen.
Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin of the NSW Police Homicide Squad made an impassioned plea to the public to come forward with any information pertaining to the disappearance of William.
“It does not sit well with me that three years down the track we haven’t solved this investigation,” he said, adding that it was “very unusual” to brief the media and the public “mid-way” through an investigation.
“We are very mindful of the public’s interest in this matter…very mindful of the public’s expectation that a crime of this nature should be solved.”
William Tyrrell disappeared from his grandmother’s yard in Kendall on the Mid North Coast, on the morning of September 12, 2014.
Detectives and analysts from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad established Strike Force Rosann to investigate the circumstances surrounding his disappearance.
Last year an unprecedented award of $1 million was offered by the NSW government, for any information leading to the recovery of William Tyrrell.
Inspector Jubelin said the reward remained on offer, calling for “common sense” to be used by anyone coming forward to authorities.
“It’s three years down the track, let’s be realistic. We are not interested in sightings of a child running around in a Spiderman suit,” he said, adding that William would now be six years of age, if still alive.
“Please don’t waste our time. We are not interested in information from clairvoyants or people who have dreams.”
Inspector Jubelin said genuine information might be in the form of someone “who has concerns about someone they know, someone in their family…that the way they react when William Tyrrell’s name is mentioned might cause suspicion.”
“Someone out there, even if they’ve operated alone, would be acting strange in relation to this investigation…I want that person to feel the pressure, I want that person to feel everyone is looking at them.”
It has been 12 months since authorities investigating the disappearance addressed the media. Since that time it is understood hundreds of persons of interest have been eliminated, however Inspector Jubelin confirmed the list “is constantly being added to.”
The information appeal comes just weeks after legal documents revealed the child was in foster care at the time of his disappearance.
Legal restrictions prevented the publication of the fact that William was in out-of-home care at the time of his disappearance, but in August a NSW Supreme Court judge said the matter was of “legitimate public interest,” and raised the “tragic possibility” that the child is dead.
Inspector Jubelin said recent media reports about William’s foster family and his biological family had not impacted the investigation in any way, and confirmed both families had been ruled out as having played any part in his disappearance.
“It is basically a living nightmare, this unresolved grief that they’ve got…they are decent people and they are suffering….we want to assist them by solving this matter.”
On Monday a statement published on the Where’s William Campaign Facebook page spoke of “three tragic years of unspeakable heartbreak and endless tears.”
“Tomorrow will mark three years without you, three years of not knowing where you are, three years of keeping hope in our hearts that with every new tomorrow will come the day that you’ll be found.”
From this week, the campaign will roll out an advertising campaign featuring the $1 million reward on billboards, in shopping centres and in cafes and offices around , appealing for information.