Squids Ink fire: brides uncertainty over wedding day plans

Blaze: The fire, which started in the function room above the office and foyer, was contained quickly. Several neighbours reported hearing at least one bang around 1am and presumed it was a car crash. Picture: Simone De PeakAFTER waiting more than 30 years to marry, Swansea couple Jody Yarnold and Col Farrowhave refusedto let thefire that destroyed the upstairs function room at Squid’s Ink restaurant and motel sear their perfect day.
苏州夜网

The couple had not yet heard on Monday afternoon from the Belmont business about what would happen to their $1000 deposit and theplans for their December 23 wedding ceremony, a reception in the restaurant and 38 guest bookings for the motel. “I never thought this would happen –I’m still in disbelief and shock,” Ms Yarnold said. “I’m not sure if they have contingency plans in place. We need to look at our options but we still want to go ahead on that day if we can –we’ve waited a long time for this.”

Jody Yarnold (right)

Squid’s Ink interim manager Scott Johnston said smoke and water damage to theoffice and foyer – which sit directly underneath the “potentially structurally unsound” function room – had destroyed the phone line, modem, computer, closed circuit televisionsystem and hard drives, which made it difficult to contact customers about bookings. He asked anyone with queries to email [email protected]苏州夜网

Mr Johnston said the owner, VB Hospitality Belmont, took over in March and theeight staff were “devastated to be back to square one”.

Waterfront eatery charred BLAZE: Squid’s Ink Belmont. Picture: Steve Meston

BLAZE: Squid’s Ink Belmont. Picture: Steve Meston

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

BLAZE: Police are investigating after the function room at Squid’s Ink Motel in Belmont was destroyed after a blaze broke out in the early morning. Picture: Simone De Peak

TweetFacebook The fire“If I thought there was a possibility that section could have caught fire I would have taken some action,” he said. “If there was a big pile ofpaper and oily rags and dodgy appliances and someone left a heater on that would be one thing, but none of us did that. “Staff are scared about what this could mean…We’re all panicking because it’s all so uncertain and we’re trying to keep ourheads together.”

Mr Johnston said all 28 motel rooms received smoke damage, but the restaurant escaped largely unscathed.

“We want to carry on as the Squid’s Ink no matter what, but we have a massive clean up ahead of us.”

Ms Yarnold said she was thinkingpositively about the couple’supturned plans. “I look at it this way –why worry about something you’ve got no control over?” she said. “It’s just another little bump in the road and we’ll get over it, we’ll work something out.”

Neighbour Jan Pearce said she was woken by bangs around 1am. “When we opened the front door there was thick smoke, it was terrible,” she said. Former employee James Reid visited the site“out of curiosity”. “It’s been a bit of an icon in this area and is so well known.”

Posted in 苏州夜网

Comments are closed.